Saturday, October 8, 2016

My Supports

People...
  • My family: After separating from my partner a year ago, my parents have become more of a support that I could have imagined. My son and I are able to live with them and share meals every day. My parents offer my son and I love, companionship, acceptance, and support. 
  • My son: At just four, my son is a huge support to me. He gives love and accepts love. He encourages me and challenges me. He gives me an alternate lens though which to view the world, one that pushes me towards my goals. Me reminds me to play and relax, which support my need for self-care. 
  • My employer: After my son was born, my employer allowed me to bring my child to work a day a week, and to work from home another day. This supported my need to immerse myself in my role as "mother" while also paying the bills. Now, after 5 years with the company, they have allowed me to be their first remote employee; despite being across the country, they have allowed me to maintain a paycheck and a professional identity/sense of purpose. 
  • My friends: I don't have many, but those I have are invaluable. Kathy, me nearest and dearest, provides unconditional love and support. She is my sounding board and my cheerleader. She also allows me to be a friend, to be silly, to sneak wine into the movie theater, and to dream about vacations to come.

Places...
  • My son's pre-school: I never thought I would say those words. I always intended to home-school him entirely, but he needs more consistent peer interaction than I can provide him. They support me by supporting his needs, and by giving me 9 hours a week to work out, shower without a ear-perked for screams, and get a little homework done. In addition, the school is a support to me by giving me peace of mind that my child is in a safe environment where he is able to learn, grow, and develop relationships.
  • My school: Walden supports my academic and professional goals by providing classes and professors that challenge me to learn and grow.

Things...
  • My computer: Without it online learning would be out of the picture, and my academic goals would need to be drastically changed (or abandoned). And I wouldn't be able to maintain my employment.
  • My phone: I kinda hate to admit it, but my phone is on my 90% of my waking hours. I use it for grocery lists, email, quick texts, staying in touch with friends, occupying my son in a pinch, and having access to my car insurance when I forget to print my card.  
  • My glasses/contacts: Every year my vision gets a little worse and a little harder to correct. My glasses/contacts allow me to keep driving, read without headaches, and have a more accurate picture of the world.

What if... I had a chronic or life limiting illness. Some things I would need might include:
  • Emotional supports: Increased time spent in doctor appointments or in recovery phases would likely require additional emotional support. Likely a counselor, support group, or another healthcare provider would be of great emotional support; providing me with guidance related to my illness, resources for coping, and a space to vent outside of my family and friends. I would likely need to rely more upon my family to aid in caring for my son (and for me at times). Knowing that me is in loving hands would give me peace of mind and energy to focus on healing.
  • Practical supports: Practical supports might include really good health insurance coverage; and a trusted healthcare provider and system.
  • Physical supports: Medical supplies to support function and quality of life (shower chair, wheelchair, etc); physical therapy or occupational therapy; and a schedule that allows flexibility needed to accommodate health changes.

2 comments:

  1. I think it is great you have your parents for support. My children know they alway have a place in our home if they need us. Your son will have a great relatonship with your parents and build many memories for a life time. I am a lot like you I need my computer for online learning and glasses to see that work to do,My phone I wish I could do without it but i do need it . YOu have a great support system whether at work or home thats great good post !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it is wonderful that your parents have a good relationship with you and your son. My parents and I dont have that kind of bond, its sad to say but my mom even has told me that she has raised her kids & its not her place to watch her grandkids. So needless to say she is missing out on many fun times with both of my children. Luckily my girls do have my (in-laws) husbands parents who DO spend time with my children. In my opinion life is about making memories and enjoying each other. We are not promised tomorrow so we need to enjoy each day to the fullest! I totally agree that I am lucky to have things such as my computer, phone, and my glasses too. I use my phone for many things other than to make calls. Having a computer allows me to take classes and future my education. Great points made about things we take for granted but are very fortunate to have. Great post! Misty

    ReplyDelete