Sunday, June 18, 2017

Adjourning

Thinking back on the groups that I have led, either long running support groups or one time only groups such as a psycho-education group or a memorial service, the closing phase has always been one of my favorites. It is a time of reflection, of honoring the work done together, and building a bridge to the world outside of the group.

For some groups, this is a hard time, filled with mixed feelings of loss and relief: the 'hard' work is done, the vulnerability of the group is over, but the relationships built within the group are often over too. For other groups, perhaps those that met with less frequency or less intensity or those that were less cohesive, the closing phase is less intense and may be more celebratory in feel.

In either case the use of ritual has always been a part of my group closings. The ritual could be something as simple as a a poem, or encouraging members to share parting words of gratitude to one another. Or the ritual could be more elaborate such as sharing a meal, a balloon or butterfly release, or the group creation of a takeaway item.

Traditionally at the end of a school program, a graduation ceremony is the final part of the adjourning phase. However, in the virtual classroom, this is not always part of the graduation experience. My last Master's program ended rather unceremoniously, and I imagine that this one will too, particularly as the class is about to split into specializations and those whom I have made relationships with during this phase of my study may not be with me in the end. However, I have found that in some cases, the adjourning can be "completed" independently through individual rituals. It may be a thank you sent to those peers who have impacted me the most, or raising a glass to them at the end of the program. I'm not yet sure of how this program will close out, and at this point, I don't imagine myself taking on the role of facilitating a group closing ritual, however I'm interested in hearing what others might be thinking on the topic!


3 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    Thank you for such an uplifting post! You know I agree that there should be some kind of adjourning process toward our last class closing. Usually we share in our "farewell's" and "good-bye's" through our last blog posts and/or last assignment paper, resulting in more writing. I think that it would be a good idea to have the class have a webcam or skype farewell, maybe with each of the discussion groups. What do you think? It would certainly be something different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post, I enjoyed reading it because I can completely relate. As I read this I was able to imagine the groups in which I too had a hard time saying good byes to but others which I was running away from jumping for joy. I think all these situations are expected in working with other people so it is all a learning experience. Being able to be an adult, hold your tongue, and be open to differences is the true meaning to working well with others.

    Robin.engel2@waldenu.edu

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to extend my thanks for the support you have offered and the feedback you have provided during this course. You have shared great insight as it relates to communication and collaboration with other professionals in the field. I wish you great success and look forward to collaborating with you in the future!

    ReplyDelete